Picture by http://fishypics.co.uk/
After a week of outstanding fly fishing at Rutland Water, The Seighford Sharks were the conquerors of the AWAI. The Anglin Water Airflo International is a two day event with 22 team competing from all over the UK along with 2 overseas teams. Two days fishing at Rutland water produced a great rod average of just over 5 fish per angler, with many bag ups being recorded.
Day one saw a fleet of 66 boats leave the harbour and just 6 of those headed to the North Arm. The rest headed South towards Gibbets and Manton, with not one boat venturing to the main basin. Most anglers wouldn’t remember a match on Rutland where not one boat went to the dam wall!
The first day on Rutland water saw the first boat heading back to the harbour at just 1.30pm! Both anglers, Airflo Consultant Iain Barr and boat partner Mike Dixon catching each of their limits in just over three hours! Other boats closely followed. Fish were high in the water and keeping your flies close to the surface proved effective. Slow glasses and fast intermediate fly lines seemed the way ahead, with a selection of boobies and blobs spaced around 12 feet apart.
Results Day 1
Seighford Sharks looked to be comfortably in the lead with a total of 45 fish for 129lb 6 3/8oz – nearly 20lb ahead of second placed Blagdon Fly Fishers Cortland with 42 fish for 110lb 6¼oz. History shows that very few teams have led from the front to take victory on the final day… Only a few pounds separated 3rd placed Hanningfield on 108lb 15¼oz, 4th Welsh Hawks 106lb 11½oz and 5th Menteith Ospreys on 104lb 15 3/8oz.
Highlights Day 1
Graeme Steel, member of the Grizzle Cats, managed to land the best rainbow on day one, weighing 5lb 11oz. Tim Joyce of Hanningfield fly fishers took top bag with a staggering 26lb 13 3/8oz, along with the best brown trout of 5lb 15 7/8oz.
Number of Anglers: 132
Fish Caught: 720
Rod Average: 5.45
Total Weight of Fish: 1847lb 85/8oz
Average Weight: 2lb 9oz
Average Bag Weight: 13lb 16oz
Results Day 2
Top rod of the entire match was Mike Dixon of Seighford Sharks with 16 fish for 48lb 13 ¾oz.
Team Airflo had an excellent second day coming out top with 44 fish for 109lb 11 3/8oz with Seighford Sharks in second with 38 fish for 105lb 9 1/8oz and Blagdon Fly Fishers Cortland third with 35 fish for 99lb 12 1/8oz. Conditions were far from perfect at the start of the match and tested everyone’s fly fishing clothing!
Seighford Sharks performance was well and truly phenomenal, keeping their 1st place position with a great performance on both days. Team members Craig Barr, Gary Owen, Mark Harrison, Phil Longstaff and Phil and Mike Dixon received gold medals along with the prestigious silver Salver. Team Airflo’s second day performance was enough to bring them from 11th to 3rd position, with Blagdon fly fishers holding their place in second as well.
Highlights Day 2
Wullie Simpson fishing for Menteith Ospreys landed the best Brown of day two weighting 5lb 10 1/8oz. Unfortunately for Wullie, a one brown limit led to the return of an even bigger Brown estimated at around 9lb later on in the day. Nick Long fishing for Blagdon Fly Fishers Cortland slipped the netted under the best Rainbow at 6lb 7¼oz – Nick’s fish was the best fish of the match overall.
Mark Harrison of Seighford Sharks had the best bag on Day Two with 8 fish for 26lb 9 5/8oz. Mark put in an outstanding performance, managing to net his 8th fish at 10:38! It takes a good 10/15 minutes to motor to Manton where he was fishing, he must have only been fishing for 25 minutes! Good Angling Mark.
Day 2 Statistics
Number of Anglers: 132
Fish Caught: 693
Rod Average: 5.25
Total Weight of Fish: 1791lb 2oz
Average Weight: 2lb 91/2oz
Average Bag Weight: 13lb 9oz
1. Seighford Sharks – 83 fish – 234lb 151/2oz
2. Blagdon Fly Fishers Cortland – 77 fish – 210lb 23/8oz
3. Team Airflo – 77 fish – 192lb 141/2oz
4. Fish Hawks – 75 fish – 189lb 35/8oz
5. Welsh Hawks – 72 fish – 186lb 103/4oz
6. Menteith Ospreys – 71 fish – 185lb 91/8oz
7. Hanningfield – 66 fish – 177lb 137/8oz
8. Change Flyfishers ‘A’ – 67 fish – 174lb 137/8oz
9. G.Loomis Team Belgium – 63 fish – 170lb 131/4oz
10. Harvey Angling Margam – 66 fish – 164lb 137/8oz
11. Thalassa AC – 65 fish – 163lb 7oz
12. Nymph-A-Maniacs – 63 fish – 162lb 135/8oz
13. Rio Masters – 65 fish – 162lb 17/8oz
14. The Renegades – 66 fish – 160lb 27/8oz
15. The Corrib Hoppers – 66 fish – 159lb 31/4oz
16. OTFA Kirkwall – 60 fish – 149lb 23/8oz
17. Shetland Anglers – 59 fish – 144lb 121/4oz
18. Grizzle Cats – 57 fish – 142lb 93/8oz
19. Froggies Fly Fishers – 56 fish – 142lb 87/8oz
20. Saltire Flyfishers – 51 fish – 135lb 47/8oz
21. Stock Barracudas – 45 fish – 114lb 131/8oz
22. Bewl Chingly Chompers – 43 fish – 113lb 123/8oz