Fishing the Trent for Barbel

Sunday 11th March 2012

Waking up at 9AM I was greeted by water on top of my sleeping bag from the dew overnight. However it was a bright and sunny morning.

I began to pack up straight away and head for home and contemplate my next move.

After my hunger taken care of I began a long deliberation of my next move, receiving texts from friends fishing the tidal Trent which were all positive. Most anglers’s hooking two to three barbel per night, and numerous bream so I thought Collingham would be worth a punt.

Sat-Nav all set for Collingham, I was just about to reverse out the drive when I got a text off a friend stating that he had just arrived at Collingham and it was heaving with angler’s with fires burning, dog’s barking and drinking beer, not my idea of a peaceful coarse fishing trip. As I have stated many times, Collingham does have a problem with this persistent minority that for all intents and purposes are there to drink and get totally off their trolleys and become noise driven which can only be described as ‘loutish’ behaviour.

So a quick re-think and I decided to right the wrongs and return to my first spot I had chosen yesterday, with the feeling that as soon as darkness fell I would be in with a chance. It was 21 degrees and blue skies above so I thought I’d wait until 3.00PM to make my move.

Barbel Delight!

On arrival I decided to take my fishing tackle to a different peg for a couple of hours before returning to where I had started yesterday for the night.

Despite putting in eight to ten balls of pellet (damped down to form a ball) and chopped Crustacean boilies with many re-casts of the feeder comprising of the same mix I didn’t have a touch. I’ll try again in the morning I thought.

Once at the peg I had fished and left yesterday I was determined that I would wait and give it the night before I made any judgement on the swim I had chosen. Nothing was going to come easy at this time of the year, generally big fish are caught with hard work and perseverance.

By this time however it was beginning to get dark but my rods were out and fishing, both on pallatrax multiworm boilies, and just as they were the day before one upstream and one downstream.

Light was fading fast and water Voles began to appear from each side of me. I left the fishing rods out for half an hour before re-casting again and then again but to no avail.

By which time the clock was nearing 7PM then all of a sudden I got a huge thump and drop back on the downstream rod, so I struck into it and felt some resistance from a fish straight away, a typical thump, thump from a chub of around 4Lbs as it quickly made its way to my waiting landing net and first fish on the multiworm boilie. Good sign! Chub follow barbel, so if you have chub in your swim the barbel won’t be too far away.

The voles were now getting a little more adventurous with their intentions, crossing from bush to bush behind me which made me look back thinking someone was there!

A few more casts and no more action I decided that I would take my receiver and go and sit in the car just behind my peg to get out the way of the voles as they scurried across me, in front of me and directly behind me; it was freaking me out.

I switched the engine on and fired up the heating, it was getting rather cold at this point.

I was just beginning to drift off, when BEEP! BEEP! There goes my receiver!

I run down the bank and strike the downstream rod. Again resistance is felt, a bream, around 4lbs which was quickly landed and returned.

I re-baited both rods and cast out again and returned to the car in the hope the next run will be a bit more enterprising than the first two.

I was awoken at around 10.55PM by my receiver on a ‘one toner’, quickly I ran down the bank like an Olympic sprinter,t Dean Macey would have been proud of me, to see my reel spool shipping line, now this was evidentially a bit more promising. Lifting the rod (no need to strike) I felt a better more substantial weight, something with a bit more of fight to it. After five minutes or so it came close and I saw it was a barbel, at last!

Two minutes later it was in the net, and recovering, while I set-up my camera.

After taking a couple of photos, a quick weigh which read 8lbs 4oz I released the fish. What a relief!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *