At the height of summer stillwater trout fishing can be at it’s hardest. There are however ways you can beat the heat and catch stillwater trout in even the worst conditions.
Read our 5 Summer trout fishing tips to find out how you can beat the heat!
1. Fish mornings and evenings – Make an effort to concentrate your fishing when air temperatures are cooler. Avoid the middle of the day. If you can, get there at dawn – fish will often be in the margins feeding hard, only to vanish when the sun is up. Same goes in the evening – as it gets dark, fish will wake up and usually feed heavily for a short spell at dusk.
2. Fish in the rain – Nobody likes getting wet. Fact. But if it rains on a summer day make the effort to hit the fishery with your waterproof fishing jacket! Wet weather, overcast skies and wind are our friends in mid summer. Get out in the rain – it will be worth it!
3. Fish deep – If you do have to fish in the day time, make sure you bring a selection of sinking fly lines. Locate the deepest areas of the lake, for example a dam wall or bank with a steep gradient indicating a drop off into deep water. The Sixth Sense range of sinking fly lines from Airflo are indispensable at this time of year – especially the Di5 and Di7 models.
4. Find Oxygen rich areas – Trout are always more active and congregate in areas rich in oxygen. On reservoirs and fisheries look out for boils and aerators. Other areas to target include inlets with water flowing in, or where water is being visibly pumped into the lake. Target these places and the trout will be nearby.
5. Keep looking – Even on a hot day a few trout will be on the feed, somewhere. Don’t waste time casting fruitlessly if nothing is happening, spend it either walking round the venue fish spotting, or gently motoring round the reservoir until you see signs of life. When you do find fish approach with stealth. An example of this is around the vast weedbeds on Rutland water – invariably a few grown on trout will always be on the prowl in such places in summer. Hard fishing but when you get one it could be a slab.